Sunday, October 01, 2006

Chocolate Leche


Anyone who knows me really well...and that is a select group, a tortured select group...knows that I had a revelation when I moved to Houston. It was there that I ate my first piece of Tres Leches cake. There is nothing like good Tres Leches.

For my birthday last year Sara gave me the best present...she made me her version of Tres Leches, and I loved it. In fact, she left me 3/4 of the cake when she drove home. I ate as much of it as I could. If you haven't had the joy of tasting this baked finery, it is some of the richest, sweetest, sensuous desserts you can imagine.

You can imagine how I felt when I heard that a Houston restaurant, Ruggles, was serving a chocolate Tres Leches cake. I forced Sara to take me there right when I arrived last week. While it was delicious, the chocolate flavor overwhelmed the sweet milky goodness and fruit garnish. I did think is was delicious, but next time I will try their standard version. I am certain it is going to curl my toes.

No comments: