Monday, November 13, 2006

Famile Friendly Fun


Many people, when they want a little cultish, quasi-religious music in their lives immediately turn to the Polyphonic Spree. Yes, I am in Texas and would love to support the locals (though, really, they are from Dallas so who gives a shit?), but I find their choir robes annoying...even if they have moved on to military garb, as I've read they recently did. There is something annoying and calculated about it that I can't explain.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre are a little more my speed. Charlie Manson, guns, feuds, and fights all rolled into one. The dark soul ego oozing out of Anton make them entertaining, if a little uneven. Cocaine--it's a hell of a drug.

There is one band that brings the uplifting together with the secret dark spaces and some catchy costumes in a way that I actually love. The Danielson Famile. Ever since the first album I heard by them, Tell Another Joke at the Ol' Chopping Block, I have been captivated. Whether it's Brother Danielson on his own or with the family, there is something about his screeching vocals that makes my skin crawl as it uplifts my heart. The Famile has never "gotten big" beyond the initial hype with indie kids around the release of the first album, and rightfully so. Brother Daniel hasn't ever really deviated from his mission of screeching out the word of Jesus, which makes a lot of people a little uncomfortable.

The reason I bring up the Jesus in Danielson is I read on the dreaded Pitchfork that there is a documentary about the Danielson Famile on its way. I simply cannot wait. (As if it's really coming soon to any theater near me.)

Here's the movie site: Danielson: A Family Movie
And here's the trailer, which looks awesome: Danielson trailer

No comments: