Monday, December 05, 2005

Procrastination Post #1 : On Things Dave Chappelle

Comedy Central announced that they are airing four shows worth of the skits that caused Dave Chappelle to run away for some spiritual quiet time in South Africa. While I am usually in favor of the artist deciding which of their material should be released, I have to say that I am very curious and excited to see if it's as bad as Dave thought or if he just broke under the pressure.

Don't get me wrong, I think I would have crumpled like a piece of tin foil under the weight of that $50 million deal that he got himself into. And I'm sure there are a lot of nuances to the story that we will never understand. I know a lot of people ask me why I left a job that on the outside seemed amazing, and no matter what I said I know some of them were just internally shaking their head in disbelief. That said, Charlie Murphy has gone on record saying he thought that the material is pretty strong.

So, instead of saying that I don't support the rights of artists, I will spin it with Karl Rove-ian self-serving sinister glee to say that the people should decide whether it is good or not. Give the people what they want, right?

Still love you, Dave. That ain't chocolate--that's doodie, baby!

1 comment:

Me2 said...

it still makes me belly laugh when I hear you say 'i'm rick james bitch.'